[LLVMdev] building an ARM backend

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 09:26:38 PDT 2006

> One of the RISC backends will make the work look a lot simpler :)
I was looking at the x86 back end because the manual instructs to use
the X86 or PowerPC back end as examples. But I guess that it is a bit
out of date.

> Actually, I think the most work goes into the calling conventions and
> ABI.  Describing the instruction set is just a lot of typing things from
> manuals.
>
> Well, you will also likely need a CFE, which is a bit of work in itself.
I have some experience with GCC, so I think that I can dig into it
once I am able to compile some .ll files. Being able to work on this
as two distinct steps one a very nice characteristic of LLVM :-)

> So, if you've done one before, you could get one up in a couple weeks if
> you had fast enough available hardware.
Nice!

> Andrew (aka crazy guy who did the Alpha backend and uses it!)

Really cool! :-)

Thank you,
Rafael