[LLVMdev] LLVM-based JVM JIT for libgcj

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 12:00:58 PDT 2006

>> FWIW I actually did this work twice, once for libjit and once for
>> LLVM.  I'm happy to provide a comparison, from a jit-writing
>> perspective, if you're interested.

Chris> Given your experience with both, I'd be very interested in any
Chris> thoughts you have on how we can make LLVM better. :)

libjit has a few advantages over LLVM in terms of the "gloss" -- how
it is packaged, JIT development using it:

* The API documentation is better.

  libjit's documentation is not perfectly complete, but for my
  purposes it was generally more complete and better organized than
  LLVM's.  With LLVM I ended up reading the header files to figure
  everything out; with libjit I didn't.

  Also libjit uses texinfo... sometimes I think I'm the last remaining
  person who likes using info in Emacs, but this did make my life
  simpler, so I thought I'd mention it.  (Obviously this is a
  subjective thing.. can you tell I'm defensive about it?  :-)

  Not to belabor this too much, but I've always found doxygen output
  borderline unreadable... libjit also does comment extraction from
  the source for its documentation, but puts it into a more-or-less
  nicely structured context.

* libjit is a lot smaller.  Of course this is both a plus and a minus
  (in the sense that small usually means things are missing).
  However, in terms of development productivity, libjit is a win here:
  a rebuild and relink of my libjit-based code takes under a minute.
  I think it takes 20 minutes or more to link my LLVM-based JIT on my
  laptop.

* Likewise, libjit installs very simply: it is a couple of shared
  libraries (one for the library and an extra one containing the C++
  API).  At least with the default install, LLVM is a weird (to me)
  mix of static libraries and object files.
  llvm-config saved the day here, in terms of the Makefile
  hacking.

  I only saw today in the mail archives that there is a way to build
  LLVM as shared libraries -- I haven't tried it yet, so apologies if
  this is just my ignorance.

* One oddity with LLVM came because a BasicBlock is a Value.  I passed
  it as the wrong argument to an AllocaInst constructor... oops.
  (libjit's API is much simpler ... no names for instructions, new
  instructions are implicitly linked into the current block, etc.
  This has both plusses and minuses.  I did wonder how much it costs
  to have names everywhere...)

I think libjit only has one technical idea that is missing from LLVM.
In libjit you can create a new function and get a pointer to it, but
set things up so that the IR for the function is also created lazily.
As I understand it, right now in LLVM you can make the IR and lazily
compile it, but not lazily make the IR.  This seems pretty handy, at
least for my situation.  It also looks pretty easy to add to LLVM :-)

I don't want to get you down or anything.  LLVM has many advantages
over libjit as well, which is why I chose to translate the JIT from
libjit to LLVM in the first place:

* LLVM has a friendlier license
* LLVM has a *much* more active community
* LLVM is much further ahead in every technical aspect: more ports,
  more optimizations, etc.

I hope this helps.  And, thanks again.

Tom