[LLVMdev] standalone llvm

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Apr 12 21:02:12 PDT 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Simon Burton wrote:

> Is it possible to get llvm to generate native machine code
> without using gcc and friends ? Do I use lli ?

LLVM only needs llvm-gcc to translate from C/C++ to LLVM IR.  If you
already have code in LLVM IR form (e.g. because you're generating it on
the fly or you have your own front-end) you don't need llvm-gcc.

> I'd like to directly create executable code that i can
> stick in memory somewhere and jump into (call).

Take a look at the llvm/examples directory.  There are several small
programs that create LLVM IR on the fly and JIT compile it.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/