[LLVMdev] [OT] how to continue a pre-existing thread?

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:32:09 PDT 2005

> Sorry. It's kinda embarrassing but I don't know how to follow a thread.

No worries. I actually found this subject rather interesting when I
looked in to it a few years ago.

> As you can see:
>   http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2005-September/thread.html
> My follow-up posts are not threaded.

Well in fact in gmail at least, some of your replies are shown as
threaded - but this is only because gmail takes a nice loose concept
of "reply".

> What is the subject I should use
> to continue a pre-existing thread?

To get the most pedantic thread-displaying programs (such as the web
listing you linked to above) to understand your message as a reply it
has nothing to do with the subject, but rather a header usually filled
in my any email client. Take, for example, Tanya's last post on the
"dependency analyzer for machine code" thread. By looking at the
headers (I'm not sure how to do that with the web listing you linked
to, but I can look at them with gmail) I can see this:

	<1125933701.3432.7.camel at localhost.localdomain>
	<FC78A84D-9384-4C8C-BB33-FA984193A82D at cs.uiuc.edu>

I can only assume these two headers basically achieve the same thing.
Specifying which emails this is a reply to. If you look at Vikram's
post (which Tanya was replying to) you'll find a Message-Id header
matching the In-Reply-To and the last entry in the References header
in Tanya's email. So the email client just takes the message-id of the
message you are replying to, sets that as the In-Reply-To value, and
concatenates it on to the References list as well.

So if you want to do this by hand, you can. But most email clients
really should handle this sort of thing for you.

David