[LLVMdev] C Types -> LLVM Objects

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Oct 30 22:28:28 PST 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Chris Lattner wrote:
>> I'm thinking that a better solution would be to write some tool that takes
>> the "null" bytecode and outputs a C++ file so I don't need to link my
>> compiler with the bytecode reader, or be able to find the "nullmodule.bc"
>> file. Are there any better ways to do this?
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a better way to do this.  If you care about a
> few specific functions, you can hard code them into the compiler. If you care
> about general functions or a large number of them, this is a reasonable
> approach.

One thing I should mention: this is only if you REALLY care about the
types that a function takes (e.g. what FILE is on the system).  For most
uses, you can just prototype a function as taking an 'sbyte*' and cast
pointer values to sbyte* before calling the function.  This could simplify
things enough that you can do simple things instead of grand and
complicated ones.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/