[LLVMdev] Still can't compile backend or frontend on Windows

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sat Oct 29 22:46:23 PDT 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Matthew Bromberg wrote:
> It's a shame this fine tool can't get better installation support for
> Windows.  If it did I suspect it would get a lot more coverage.   After 5

Yup.

> months or so I still have no way to compile the backend tools let alone the C
> frontend on windows.  I have tried both Cygwin and Mingw so far.  MingW is
> preferrable since distributions of the binaries would not require the
> cygwin.dll.  It would be nice if the full backend binaries under windows were
> available for download. I understand that the VC++ build has downloadable
> binaries somewhere, but it lacks the final support for generating executable
> output (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not familiar with the state of the windows build.

> This time I attempted to compile the CVS version, 1.6 in the hope that it had
> better support for Windows as some of the release notes seemed to indicate.
> I followed the Mingw installation instructions on
> http://www.geocities.com/henrik_bach_llvm/

1.6 has better support for building native with VC++.  I know that cygwin
works to some degree (though the release build is broken due to cygwin
bugs?), but I'm not familiar with the state of mingw.  It seems not as
good as it could be.

> There were a bunch of Warnings during the configure phase involving missing
> utilities such as mmap and ldopen(). When I started make I died with the
> following message:
> llvm[1]: Compiling IsNAN.cpp for Debug build

> (sigh)  I thought operating system specific headers such as unistd.h were not
> supposed to be needed.  Perhaps someone who has successfully compiled the
> backend under Windows using Mingw could point me to the binary executables
> and/or even better some link libraries.

I don't know what the deal is, because I don't use that platform.
However, things will not improve unless someone steps forward to
contribute patches.  If MingW is really important to you, you could dive
in and see if you can fix some of the problems.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/