[LLVMdev] Vector LLVM checked in!

Robert L. Bocchino Jr. bocchino at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 18 13:20:29 PDT 2005

Hi,

As advertised to some, I've checked in a BETA VERSION of my vector
extensions to LLVM.  It is checked in as a CVS branch off of the main
line.  You can get the branch by doing a normal llvm checkout and
adding the argument -r vector_llvm.  E.g., to check out from anonymous
CVS, you would do this:

	• 	cvs -d :pserver:anon at llvm-cvs.cs.uiuc.edu:/var/cvs/llvm login
	• 	Hit the return key when prompted for the password.
	• 	cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anon at llvm-cvs.cs.uiuc.edu:/var/cvs/llvm co -r
vector_llvm llvm

This will produce a fresh tree with the Vector LLVM stuff in it.

Vector LLVM consists of three main components:

1. Extensions to the VM core to support both fixed and variable
vectors, and operations on them (the fixed vectors subsume the 'Packed
Type' from regular LLVM).

2. A C API and supporting LLVM transformation for writing Vector LLVM
at the C level using special functions that can be integrated with
"normal" scalar code, compiled through llvm-gcc, and turned into Vector
LLVM.

3. Very rudimentary backend support for turning fixed vectors into
AltiVec and/or SSE via the C backend and the gcc SIMD intrinsics for C.

I've also written a backend for the Motorola RSVP coprocessor
architecture that uses variable length vectors, but I can't check this
in because it's proprietary.

#1 above is documented in llvm/src/docs/LangRef.html.  I'm working on
documentation for #2 and #3.

Feel free to check it out Vector LLVM and play with it.
Comments/suggestions are welcome.

Rob

Robert L. Bocchino Jr.
Ph.D. Student, Computer Science