[LLVMdev] Introduction.

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Nov 30 22:45:38 PST 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Brian Makin wrote:
> I've been reading through the documentation for llvm
> and am quite interested in helping.  I am an
> experience c and c++ programmer but a bit rusty on the
> compilers.

Great, welcome to the community!

> I'm currently reading through the ideas for projects.
> It looks as through llvm may be very deep in some
> optimization (IPA) but not as strong in others.  Are
> there some textbook passes which I could start with?

The open projects list (http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/OpenProjects.html) is one
good source, another is to look through the bugzilla database.  There are
probably some open bugs that are reasonable straight-forward to address.
Finally, the best way is to try using LLVM for something, and if it
doesn't work as well as it should in some way, figure out how to improve
it! :)  This is a good place to discuss problems you hit and possible
solutions.

Welcome again,

-Chris

--