[LLVMdev] llvm-ranlib: Bus Error in regressions + fix

Evan Jones ejones at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 24 06:02:53 PST 2005

On Nov 24, 2005, at 8:32, Jeff Cohen wrote:
>  Windows does permit a file to be deleted while it is still open, but
> only when it was opened with delete share permission.  This requires
> that the file be opened with the CreateFile API, which LLVM cannot do
> in a portable fashion.  This functionality cannot be accessed via
> fopen.

Right, except that the semantics are different (delete on close, not
delete immediately), so it still doesn't solve the portability problem
in this case. Also, DeleteFile fails if the file is mmapped. From MSDN:

> The  DeleteFile function fails if an application attempts to delete a
> file that is open for normal I/O or as a memory-mapped file.

So in this case, I still need to do the ugly contortions to close the
old archive before replacing it.

Evan Jones

--
Evan Jones