[LLVMdev] LLVM + GCC Integration Proposal

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Fri Nov 18 19:00:44 PST 2005

Chris Lattner wrote:

>> Also, would they be allergic to the VC++ suppport that currently
>> exists? After all, if they're not careful, going down this route may
>> result in a gcc that can be bootstrapped with VC++ :)
>

> I don't think that's a problem.  I think that, given a choice,
> allowing gcc to be bootstrapped with VC++ would be a favorable thing
> for the GCC community, regardless of LLVM.
>
> -Chris

I wonder.  I could be totally wrong, but it's always been my impression
that the lack of support for bootstrapping via Microsoft's compiler is
more political than technical.  After all, gcc can bootstrap with just
about every other C compiler in existence, including some that are "less
than perfect".  If anyone knows the actual reason, I'd welcome being
corrected.