[LLVMdev] [fwd] Re: LLVM Compiler Infrastructure

Yiping Fan fanyp at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 1 16:30:06 PST 2005

Chris, thank you for your reply.

Our problem is that we don't assume an integer must have 32 bits.
In our code generation, we can define an integer to be less than 32 bits.
For example, 24 bits.
In this case, by executing this LLVM code (my first example) on a 24-bit
machine, let x = 0xFFFFFF,
then we will get %tmp.2 = 0x003FFF, and %tmp.3 = 0x3FFF, which is positive.
That is not correct because
the sign flag is lost.

I know that this transformation is correct and may be efficient for a 32-bit
machine of course.
But it introduces the problem above in our scenario, and we would like the
LLVM code without this
cast-to-unsigned transformation.
For unsigned shifting, there is no such problem though.

So you suggested that maybe we can skip the 'instcombine' pass to disable
this transformation?

Thanks.