[LLVMdev] [Cygwin] 'make tools-only' configuration error

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Tue May 31 18:44:18 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 23:56 +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
> Reid,
>
> I did look on eBay for you for replacement 2.5" harddisks but they
> were expensive and in short supply :(

LOL.

> >That all sounds right to me. Must be the "new" version of Cygwin. Go
> >to /usr/include and do this:
> >
> >find . -name '*.h' -exec grep mkdtemp {} \; -print
>
> Its giving me zilch.

Okay, so Cygwin doesn't have a mkdtemp. Perhaps it never did. So why is
configure "finding" one?

> >and let me know if you get any output. The output will tell you which
> >header file mkdtemp is defined in. Make sure that is the header that is
> >included in lib/System/Unix/Path.inc (it might be a few #includes
> >removed).
>
> I tried on the older version of Cygwin and it looks like it was never there.

Maybe it has never had mkdtemp. Either way, configure shouldn't find it
if it doesn't have it.

> >That's all just bizarre but its possible that it is related to a more
> >fundamental error, especially a configure script problem.
>
> Yes that is the conclusion I came to.
>
> >> I have gone back to the older Cygwin environment that worked before
> >> but am now getting the same results as with the newer Cygwin
> >> installation. Why it worked before but not now I do not know.
> >
> >Hrm. That's not good.
> >
> >Can you build with "TOOL_VERBOSE=1" and capture the output and send it
> >to me. Something like:
> >
> >make TOOL_VERBOSE=1 2>&1 >make.out
>
> Okay, that was quicker than I thought.

This didn't really show much. You built the X86 target and linked llc.
All worked fine.

> >Send that to me (not the list) and I'll take a look. Please also do
> >this:
> >
> >make reconfigure
> >
> >and send me the "configure.out" file that gets generated as well as
> >"config.log".

Okay, the configure script did *not* find mkdtemp therefore HAVE_MKDTEMP
should not have been set. That is confirmed by your config.log.

I think you might just be dealing with a stale or corrupt build
directory? Have you tried starting from scratch (do "make spotless")?

> Okay.
>
> These are from the older Cygwin installation that used to work. I can do the
> same from the newer installation too if need be.
>
> >> The first error in this mail does not occur with the older Cygwin
> >> installation.
> >
> >Yeah, as I suspected, its probably related to the new version of Cygwin.
>
> It does look like it is reporting a nonexistant function and has broken
> LLVM.

Just make sure that HAVE_MKDTEMP is *not* defined in your config.h
(after running configure) and you should be good, at least on this
point. The lib/System/Unix/Path.inc file will handle the situation even
if it has to resort to creating a temporary directory manually without
using a library function.

> >> The only thing I can think is it is my instillation proceedure but I
> >> cannot find anything wrong with it.
> >
> >There's something fishier than just your inst >>>A<<< ll :) procedure at
> >work here.
>
> Yes, there does seem to be something odd. Quite unsettling after the amount
> of work we have put in to it. Thought we had it sussed. I do find Cygwin a
> bit brittle at times.

Yup. I don't really see anything wrong with your ocnfiguration files.
Can you try just building it again from scratch without the HAVE_MKDTEMP
#define set and see what you get?