[LLVMdev] A. Pool Allocation under PowerPC (Mac)

Ricardo rmivs-jygf at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 14:51:39 PDT 2005

John,

Thanks for the information. That comment in the source code confused me and I wanted to be sure
that the installation of all the LLVM framework in the macintosh for testing the pool allocation
was not going to be done in vain.

The LLVM documentation states that gcc 3.4x is necessary for compiling the LLVM. On the other
hand, Xtools 1.5 for Mac includes only gcc 3.3 and Xtools 2.0 includes gcc 4.0. Do I need to
download and build the gcc 3.4 source code? Do you have any installation guide for LLVM under Mac
OS X?

Also, in the release notes, it is stated that for the Power PC:

"Code generation is supported for 32-bit ABI only"

If that is the case then, isn't the code generated for Power PC going to use 64 bit pointers? If
so, I suppose that the Mac platform is not going to benefit too much from the Automatic Pointer
Compression. Am I correct?

Thanks