[LLVMdev] llc -march=ia64 support

Duraid Madina duraid at octopus.com.au
Wed May 25 02:20:01 PDT 2005

Hi there,

	The IA64 architecture, which had its 'official' name changed to the
"Itanium Processor Architecture", *is* supported by llc. I am pretty
sure you are talking about the x86-64 architecture, which has also had
its share of unfortunate name changes and is also known as "AMD64",
"EM64T" and all sorts of things in between. x86-64 is *not* currently
supported by llc.

	I am not aware of anyone working to add x86-64 support to llc, but such
support will probably come one day. The author of LLVM's x86 backend is
enjoying some well-earned time off right now, so I think 4 weeks is
probably a bit too optimistic, sorry about that. :(

	Having said that, is there no way you can use the assembly that results
from passing "-march=x86" to llc? I think you should be able to create a
32-bit "playground" on your x86-64 system, and build and run LLVM and
PyPy inside that. The idea here is to try and fool LLVM into thinking
it's running on a plain old x86 system. I'm pretty sure this is
possible, but it has been a long time since I last used an x86-64
system, so I can't tell you exactly what you need to do. Someone else on
this list might be able to help you out, though. (Markus, are you
reading this? ;)

	Duraid