[LLVMdev] [Cygwin] make check results

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Fri May 20 14:18:12 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 09:54:06PM +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
> I am wondering whether it is worth me preparing a html document
> describing the whole process from updating GCC and LD to LLVM to the
> CFE and make check for others to follow.

This would be a very useful addition to our documentation.

> The other thing is making a Cygwin Binary availiable. I could do both
> these things and put them on the web.

This would be appreciated as well.  If you post it somewhere, we can add
it to the 'contrib' section of our download page for version 1.5 .

> The only thing I am concerned about is a long development cycle, do I
> have to do a 'make' or 'make tools-only' followed by a 'make install'
> and a 'make check' every time I want to test some change ?

Most of us who recompile LLVM often add the directory $objdir/Debug/bin
to our path and just use those tools directly.  This lets you skip "make
install", but you still have to run "make" all the time to recompile
your tools.

If you want to speed up your build, you can edit tools/Makefile and
delete all the tools that you don't use.  It's still a good idea to make
a full build every now and then to make sure you didn't break anything
globally.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu