[LLVMdev] [Cygwin] groff build error - semi solved

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri May 20 07:23:14 PDT 2005

Aaron Gray wrote:
> Turns out I did not have Perl installed and hence no pod2man command, so
> it was not groff after all.
>
> But 'true', what ever it does, does not seem to be working on Cygwin.
>
> true pod2man --release=1.5 --center="LLVM Command Guide"
> /usr/build/llvm/../../src/llvm-1.5/docs/CommandGuide/analyze.pod
> /usr/build/llvm/docs/CommandGuide/analyze.1
>
> 'true' seems to behaving like a "do nothing machine".
>
>  From looking at the Bash documentation it does not look like it should
> be there at all !
>
>         http://www.faqs.org/docs/bashman/bashref_68.html
>
> Can anyone enlighten me please as to what 'true' is doing there, and can
> I remove it ?

This is just a guess, but look in Makefile.config for the POD2MAN
variable and see if that's where true is coming from.

I think some of our autoconf magic uses the true command whenever it
can't find a particular program.  That way, the Makefile rules just use
a macro to run <program>, and if program doesn't exist, it just runs
"true", which does nothing.

-- John T.