[LLVMdev] [Cygwin] llvm 'make install' build errors

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Thu May 19 16:17:35 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 18:04 -0500, Misha Brukman wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 02:50:54PM -0700, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > Yeah, cygwin's a bit of a pig. To do a release build, just do:
> > make ENABLE_RELEASE=1
>
> Actually, it's "make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1".  Perhaps it should also allow
> ENABLE_RELEASE=1 as a synonym.

Shows you how long its been since I've done a release build :)

> Personally, I think --enable-optimized is a strange name, because why
> would anyone want to "disable" optimization? :)  Maybe it should be
> something like --build-optimized, --build-profile, and --build-debug, or
> even --build={opt,prof,debug} since it's a 3-way switch, and you can't
> pick and choose more than one of them at a time.

I'd recommend (and have long thought about):

--build-mode={opt,prof,debug,...}

There doesn't need to be only three. They really should be a set so that
you could do "optimized debug" or "profiled debug" or "profiled
optimized", etc. There might also be some other types of builds that
someone would want but I can't think of any right now. Anyhow, this is
in my notes for separating the makefile system to its own project.

Reid.