[LLVMdev] Cygwin Compile Fails for me too.

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Thu May 19 09:11:14 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 12:01 -0400, Matthew Bromberg wrote:
> OK I've got
> GNU ld version 2.15.94 20041229
> as and ar are the same version number etc.  I think the latest release
> is 2.16.
> I guess you guys like to stay on the bleeding edge!

If I recall correctly, the 2.15.94 version that comes with Cygwin is the
buggy one that doesn't assemble correctly. That's we we *reverted* back
to 2.15. I doubt anyone's tried 2.16 on cygwin with LLVM.

> I'll give it a try with the cfrontend included as suggested,  but I'm
> actually writing a pattern
> matching compiler for a non-C scripting language and I'm looking for an
> optimizing back-end such as llvm. I didn't think I needed the C front end.

No, you don't. Don't specify the --with-llvmgccdir option when you
configure and when you build LLVM use "make tools-only". Everything will
be fine :)

> In fact llvm seems to be the only active tool of it's kind in the free
> software world.  MLRISC seems to be somewhat ML specific and C--  isn't
> as far along.

Well, if that's true, I guess LLVM is the best one too :)

Reid.