[LLVMdev] Opaque Undef Types?

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Fri May 13 08:12:47 PDT 2005

I'm looking at and running:
test/Regression/Assembler/2005-05-05-OpaqueUndefValues.ll

which says:
; RUN: llvm-as < %s | llvm-dis | llvm-as

%t = type opaque
%x = global %t undef

Why is this valid? Shouldn't the assembler reject it (it doesn't)? How
can a global variable be defined as opaque? What's it size?

Does this just indicate that %x is some "unknown undefined" global which
will be resolved when linking?

If so, the CBE will choke (abort) on it, as does my XPLBE. Should I fix
this? How? Just declare it as a "char" or something? Won't that confuse
the linker?

Reid