[LLVMdev] GCC assembler rejects native code generated by LLVM

Vyacheslav Akhmechet coffeemug at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:57:39 PST 2005

> I'm confused.  My understanding is that Visual C++ Express does not
> include Visual Studio, which is required to build LLVM.
Well, Visual C++ Express is a cut down version of Visual Studio. I'm
not sure about exact differences between editions but Visual C++
Express does read the .sln files and comes with an excellent C++
compiler. I didn't encounter any problems building llvm or running
various tools.

> Anyway,
> assembly code generation is not yet supported using the Microsoft tool
> chain (as documented in the Getting Started with VS page)
I've seen that document. It suggests that one cannot assemble native
executables using MS tools because they don't come with an assembler.
Another document (don't remember which one, exactly) says native code
generation is supported on Windows using Mingw tools. This is exactly
what I'm trying to do: assemble an executable using Mingw. I don't see
why it should matter whether llvm tools are built using gcc or MSVC,
the generated assembly code should be the same, shouldn't it?