[LLVMdev] Using LLVM to target the JVM

Evan Jones ejones at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 1 09:33:37 PST 2005

On Mar 1, 2005, at 12:13, Chris Lattner wrote:
> Interesting, do you know of any documentation that describes how this
> works?  Does it just map the memory image for the mips program onto a
> giant array of bytes?

int32 values, actually. The best documentation I have found is the
description of mips2java. It seems to be down, so I've included a link
via google's cache

http://www.xwt.org/mips2java/
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:QblfYsocEuQJ:www.xwt.org/mips2java/

Here is the relevant information:

> Architecture Representation
>
> Conveniently, we can represent main memory as a Java int[][], which
> allows efficient accesses so long as they are aligned,
> 32-bit-word-at-a-time accesses. The first index is the top 16 bits of
> the address; the second index is the lower 16 bits. This allows us to
> allocate Java memory to the MIPS emulator in 64kb slabs.

(there are more details on that page)

Evan Jones