[LLVMdev] Re: variable sized structs in LLVM

Aaron Gray angray at beeb.net
Sat Jun 25 07:39:32 PDT 2005

>>> Chris you should maybe add this example to the getelementptr
>>> documentation.
>>
>> This isn't really appropriate for the reference manual, but I added it to
>> the "Source Language Implementation Notes" of my web page here:
>>
>> http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/SizeOf-OffsetOf-VariableSizedStructs.txt
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>

> Bingo, it does help!  Thanks Chris!  However, I'm with Aaron on where this
> belongs, your link above really should be integrated into or at least an
> addendum to the IR Language Reference,
>
> http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/LangRef.html
>
> unless you're keeping it out of the official IR docs for now because you
> will/might handle this more directly or differently in a future revision
> of
> the IR.  If that's the case then the IR Lang Ref should at least for now
> provide a link to the above from within itself, IMHO.  In any case,
> thanks! :)

A special section on variable length structs would be the place to have it
with explanation of 'sizeof' null getelementptr, and other such phnomonon :)

It is interesting getelementptr is just like a concept I had over 15 years
ago I called access paths, but these were VM dynamic runtime constructs
only.

Aaron