[LLVMdev] varargs heads up

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Jun 17 13:40:16 PDT 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Andrew Lenharth wrote:

> Sometime this weekend (or today) vararg support will change.  vanext
> will go away, and the intrinsic signatures will change.  Backwards
> compatibility code will be included so front ends won't need to change
> initially (after that code is tested, then we will upgrade llvm-gcc).
>
> What should work after the transition:
> All Pattern based ISels (default on x86, PPC, Alpha, IA64)
> Existing .bc and .ll files
>
> What will break:
> SparcV9
> SparcV8 (which doesn't currently support varargs, so not a big deal)
> Simple ISels for x86 and PPC (not the default codegen, so shouldn't
> really affect anybody)
>
> If you read a .ll or .bc file it will be converted to the new format and
> any file written will use the new instructions and intrinsics.  And yes,
> the conversion produces horibly ugly code, but oh well.

This all sounds good, except that it is not acceptable to break SparcV9
until we have a replacement... :(

I can update the X86 simple isel later and nate can update the PPC one if
he wants, so I'm not worried about those [like you said, they are disabled
by default now anyway].

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/