[LLVMdev] How to partition registers into different RegisterClass?

Tzu-Chien Chiu tzuchien.chiu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 03:08:09 PDT 2005

All registers in my hardware are 4-element vector registers (128-bit).
Some are floating point registers, and the others are integer
registers.

I typedef two packed classes: [4 x float] and [4 x int], and add an
enum 'packed' to MVT::ValueType (ValuesTypes.h).

I declared all 'RegisterClass'es to be 'packed' (first argument of
RegisterClass):

  def GeneralPurposeRC : RegisterClass<packed, 128, [R0, R1]>;
  def INT_ReadOnlyRC : RegisterClass<packed, 128, [I0, I1]>;
  def FP_ReadOnlyRC : RegisterClass<packed, 128, [F0, F1]>;

  def MOVgg : BinaryInst<0x51, (
    ops GeneralPurposeRC :$dest,
    ope GeneralPurposeRC :$src), "mov $dest, $src">;

  def MOVgi : BinaryInst<0x52, (
    ops GeneralPurposeRC :$dest,
    ope INT_ReadOnlyRC :$src), "mov $dest, $src">;

  def MOVgf : BinaryInst<0x52, (
    ops GeneralPurposeRC :$dest,
    ope FP_ReadOnlyRC :$src), "mov $dest, $src">;

In the instruction selector, SDOperand::getValueType() always returns
'MVT::packed' for all operands. I cannot distinguish between
GeneralPurposeRC, INT_ReadOnlyRC, FP_ReadOnlyRC. But a correct
register class is necessary for SSARegMap to create a virtual
register.

--
Tzu-Chien Chiu,
3D Graphics Hardware Enginner,