[LLVMdev] X86AsmPrinter + MASM and NASM backends

Aaron Gray angray at beeb.net
Mon Jul 11 11:24:31 PDT 2005

>> I am not really sure whether to do a X86NASMPrinter or whether to bypass
>> that for now and work on an X86COFFWriter which would be more useful to
>> me ?
>
> I wouldn't suggest writing an X86NASMPrinter: just change the current
> Intel printer to do what you want.  Noone is currently using the intel
> printer, so you can do what you wish to it.

Once I have finished rewriting the MASM printer then a NASM one should take
no time at all, he says :)

The NASM like the MASM does not have % symbols on the register names so will
either inherit from the MASM printer or have its own TableGen class.

>> Also looking at your ELF code I do not know how to fit it in exactly with
>> the command line switches etc.
>
> I don't know which you would prefer.  I'm actively (but slowly) hacking on
> the ELF writer in my spare time.  It will probably be a lot easier to
> write the COFF writer after the ELF write is done, so you can use it as an
> example.

Yes I will wait till you have done the ELF writer.

> In any case, getting the nasm writer working will be much easier still.

I am probably going to do a NASM version after a bit of a break.

Aaron