[LLVMdev] Re: LLVM to SUIF-MACH VM binary

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue Jan 18 11:26:27 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, John Cortes wrote:
>> Can you say a little bit about MACH-SUIF?  With a brief google search, I
>> didn't turn up anything that described the architecture.  Is it a RISC-like
>> machine with 32-bit instruction words?
>>

> It's another VM representation.  I haven't really gotten to know the nitty
> gritty of the language so I'm not too confortable with it, but these two
> links should decribe the project.  It's based on the work from SUIF.  More
> specifically, we are using MACHINE-SUIF as a backend to SUIF to generate code
> to an embedded processor.  We want to move away from using the SUIF frontend,
> but the backend works fine.  Essentially, for right now, I have to convert
> LLVM IR to SUIFvm IR.
>
> http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/hube/software/nci/suifvm.html
> http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/hube/software/nci/overview.html

Okay, it's a RISCy architecture of sorts.  I don't see any documentation
on the binary format.  Does it require register allocation?  If not, it
might be easier to write the target in the style of the C-backend (which
doesn't use any of the code generator components).  If it does, making use
of the code generator infrastructure would make sense.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/