[LLVMdev] Cygwin build is still broken

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Sun Jan 9 15:39:22 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 15:33, Oleg Smolsky wrote:
> Happy New Year all,
>
> I've just updated to the latest CVS version and cygwin port is still
> broken. When building full llvm:
>
> llvm[3]: Compiling crtend.c for Debug build (bytecode)
> llvm[3]: Compiling listend.ll for Debug build
> llvm[3]: Linking comp_main.bc component...
> assertion "(Result->isFirstClassType() || Result == Type::VoidTy ||
> isa<OpaqueType>(Result)) && "LLVM functions cannot return aggregates""
> failed: file "Type.cpp", line 373
> make[3]: ***
> [/cygdrive/d/3rd-party/llvm/runtime/GCCLibraries/crtend/Debug/comp_
> main.bc] Error 1
>
> Any ideas? Has anybody been able to replicate this issue?
> GNU assembler 2.15.91 20040725
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.1 (cygming special)

Cygwin builds just fine for me. It looks like you're using the wrong
tools. Please read:

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GettingStarted.html#hardware

noting that the 2.15.91 version of as that comes with Cygwin is broken
and that you need to use just 2.15.

Please also note this document:

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html#cygwin

You MUST build the llvm-gcc and llvm-g++ tools from the latest CVS, the
1.4 release fails to compile under Cygwin.

Reid