[LLVMdev] Version Control Upgrade?

Sébastien Pierre sebastien-lists at type-z.org
Sat Jan 8 04:35:38 PST 2005

Le 8 janv. 05, à 01:35, Reid Spencer a écrit :

>  Of the tools available, it seems that only subversion, arch, and
> monotone are suitable for our purposes. But, we'd love to hear your
> thoughts; especially if you have first-hand experience with these
> tools.

 From my experience, monotone is the cleanest. It has a very simple and
powerful versionning model (based on SHA-1 signatures), and does not
clutter your directories with hidden folders to store versionning info
(everything lies in a single folder).

However, Subversion is gaining a wide acceptance as a replacement to
CVS, is updated regularly and seems to "work" -- but for people knowing
Monotone, Subversion model looks somewhat old. This drawback is really
minor, as there are a lot of really cool tools (such as Trac
<http://www.edgewall.com/trac/>) which supports SVN and offer very
valuable features.

Arch seems only interesting for people who do not have a server on
which they can put a Monotone or SVN server, however it's starting to
gain some acceptance in the GNU community.

Hope this helps,

  -- Sébastien

--
«Life begins at the centerfold and expands outwards.»
<http://www.type-z.org>                     -- Miss November, 1966