[LLVMdev] Uniform data dependence info?

Victor Leikehman LEI at il.ibm.com
Thu Feb 24 00:27:46 PST 2005

> What specific information do you need?

All my experiments eventually analyze or transform
the data dependence graph, which takes into account both
registers and aliasing information.  Because there is already
a built-in support for graphs, I hoped there is also built-in
support for data dependence graphs. That would allow, for example,
to display them naturally with dot utility.

      Victor

                      Chris Lattner
                      <sabre at nondot.org        To:       LLVM Developers Mailing List <llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu>
                      >                        cc:       Victor Leikehman/Haifa/IBM at IBMIL
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [LLVMdev] Uniform data dependence info?
                      llvmdev-bounces at c
                      s.uiuc.edu

                      02/23/05 06:02 PM
                      Please respond to
                      LLVM Developers
                      Mailing List

> Is there some uniform way to find data dependence between two (sets of)
> instructions?  There is use/def data, and there is AliasAnalysis
> information, but I am looking for something more high-level and uniform.
> I guess I am missing then was abandoned. Any ideas?

Nope, there currently isn't a uniform interface for doing so, at least not
at the LLVM level.  As you said, use/def information will tell you about
dependence between non-side-effecting instructions, and AliasAnalysis will
tell you what dependences exist between side-effecting ones.

What are you trying to do here?  It would be really easy to add a helper
method to the AliasAnalysis interface that took into consideration
dependencies between scalar instructions.  What specific information do
you need?

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/