[LLVMdev] CVS LLVM Requires CVS llvm-gcc?

Evan Jones ejones at uwaterloo.ca
Sat Feb 19 17:44:50 PST 2005

On Feb 19, 2005, at 20:26, Reid Spencer wrote:
> You need to tell configure where the install directory for all of
> llvm-gcc is located.

Ah ha. That was my problem. I forgot that I ran into this with LLVM 1.4
as well. Basically, I specified:

--with-llvmgccdir=/Users/ejones/llvm/cfrontend/ppc/llvm-gcc/bin

instead of:

--with-llvmgccdir=/Users/ejones/llvm/cfrontend/ppc/llvm-gcc

Which does make sense now. For me, the issue was that the directions
(http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GettingStarted.html) were slightly
misleading. They say:

> 	◦ 	--with-llvmgccdir=directory
>
> Optionally, specify for directory the full pathname of the C/C++
> FrontEnd installation to use with this LLVM configuration. If  not
> specified, the PATH will be searched.

I read this to mean "if you can execute llvm-gcc, the configure script
will find it." However, it turns out that I needed to remove "/bin"
from the directory I added to the PATH. This seems somewhat silly,
since that would *not* allow me to execute llvm-gcc in my shell. I
don't understand autoconf at all, but it seems to me that it should do
"which llvm-gcc" then remove "/bin/llvm-gcc" from the end of that path.

Anyhow, I have it compiling now. Sorry for taking up your time,

Evan Jones