[LLVMdev] LLVM built on VS C++ 2005

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Feb 18 08:05:31 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Aaron Gray wrote:
>> That is why it is difficult to justify supporting Whidbey.  This bug may
>> have been easy to work around.  The next one may not be so easy. Remember,
>> if Whidbey wasn't buggy and incomplete, you'd be paying around $1000 for it
>> instead of downloading it for free.
>
> Too earger to get LLVM running. Really I should have checked things out
> deeper. I thought Whidbey would really be upto the job, obviously not.
>
> I have ordered a copy of Visual Studio 2003 now anyway so can work with that.
>
> The CVS changes may probably want rolling back ?

Aaron, don't worry about it, there is no confusion.  We occasionally have
to work around bugs in other compilers (including VC7.1), so this sort of
patch is no different.  As long as the changes required to get Whidbey
working do not adversely affect other users/compilers, I don't have any
problem with them.  Again, thanks for the patch!

The one thing to watch out for though is that other uses of abort will
probably creep into the compiler over time, so we might accidentally break
Whidbey support.  Jeff has experienced this with VC7.1 support getting
minorly broken from time to time as well.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/