[LLVMdev] LLVM built on VS C++ 2005

Aaron Gray angray at beeb.net
Thu Feb 17 22:30:57 PST 2005

> GCC is smart enough to realize it doesn't return.  That's because the
> declaration of abort() is decorated with __attribute__((__noreturn__)).
>
> So is GCC smarter than VC++?  As it turns out, in VC++ the declaration of
> abort() is decorated with __declspec(noreturn).
>
> Whidbey is not stricter than 2003, it is merely buggier.  VC++ has always
> complained about functions failing to return a value; this is not new in
> Whidbey.  What is new is that it no longer pays attention to
> __declspec(noreturn).

Got by a Microsoft bug, sorry about that folks. I should have looked at
abort()'s declaration.

> That is why it is difficult to justify supporting Whidbey.  This bug may
> have been easy to work around.  The next one may not be so easy.
> Remember, if Whidbey wasn't buggy and incomplete, you'd be paying around
> $1000 for it instead of downloading it for free.

Too earger to get LLVM running. Really I should have checked things out
deeper.
I thought Whidbey would really be upto the job, obviously not.

I have ordered a copy of Visual Studio 2003 now anyway so can work with
that.

The CVS changes may probably want rolling back ?

Jeff, as I say if I can work with/under you on the Visual C++ 2003 port then
maybe we can get some real work done.

Sorry again for any confusion caused.

Aaron