[LLVMdev] Patches for MinGW Build instructions

Henrik Bach henrik_bach_llvm at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:30:03 PST 2005

>From: Chris Lattner Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:11:44 -0600 (CST)
>
>On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Henrik Bach wrote:
>>
>>>Here is my first try to document, how to build the llvm suite for MinGW.
>>
>>The GettingStarted patch looks fine to me, and I've applied it here:
>>http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20050207/023986.html
>>
>>The other patch does not look ok.  In particular, it would be much better
>>to submit patches to make MinGW work as much like other platforms as
>>possible. In particular, instead of telling the user to patch their
>>sources and pass funny flags into make, it would be better to apply the
>>patch to mainline CVS and fix the makefiles. :)
>
>Actually, looking closer, I think that some of the content added to the
>GettingStarted.html file should be moved to the HowToBuildTheCFE document.
>Specifically I'm thinking of:
>
>"If you want to compile the C/C++ frontend, then upgrade to texinfo-4.5+
>from source." ... so I removed it.

OK, I'll put the text there. I'll take a closer look later.

>Also, I'm not sure what this is needed for:
>
>"If you need to create a library for an MS DLL, do the following:
>
>    1. pexports /C/WINNT/SYSTEM32/file.dll | sed "s/^_//" >
>/C/MinGW/lib/file.def
>    2. Edit file and append @<ordinal> to the missing function name
>    3. dlltool.exe -k -d /C/MinGW/lib/file.def -l /C/MinGW/lib/libfile.a."

It took me a while to find out how to generate missing libraries for windows
dll's on MinGW. And unfortunately no one didn't/couldn't tell me how to do
it. I guess someone would be in the same situation. But, I assume future
versions of MinGW will support the psapi.dll and dbghelp.dll.

>Henrik, can you elaborate on this?  If this really is needed in this
>document, it would be good to move it somewhere other than a footnote...

I agree, do you have any suggestion?

Henrik.