[LLVMdev] Floating point instructions patch

Morten Ofstad morten at hue.no
Fri Apr 29 01:31:27 PDT 2005

Chris Lattner wrote:
> The patches I didn't apply are these:
>
> 1. Match (Y < 0) ? -Y : Y -> FABS in the SelectionDAGISel.cpp file.  We
>    already catch this at the DAG level.  If we aren't, please let me know.

OK, no problem - I was just told last time I tried to get my patch in that this was needed because the C++ frontend
generated this code, I'm generating calls to fabsf() so for me this is unimportant ...

> 2. Codegen fsin/fcos to fsin/fcos for X86.  We cannot do this, except
>    under the control of something like -enable-unsafe-fp-math.  These
>    instructions are architected to have a limited range.

OK, I will add this flag.

> 3. Codegen fsqrt/fsqrtf C functions to the FSQRT dag node.  These
>    functions can set errno, so this is not a safe transformation.  The
>    proper way to do this is to introduce an llvm.sqrt.f32/llvm.sqrt.f64
>    pair of intrinsics to represent these operations without errno.  The
>    optimizer can then turn fsqrt calls into these intrinsics when errno is
>    provably never used or if a compiler option is specified to ignore
>    errno.   Also, your work could just generate llvm.sqrt.* calls
>    directly.

Actually, in my first patch these instructions (including fabs) were all intrinsics.
My code generator used to generate llvm.sqrt calls, so it's no problem to go back to that.

> 4. Codegen of fsin/fcos libm calls to FSIN/FCOS dag nodes.  We really do
>    need to be able to legalize these for targets that don't support them
>    before we can do this.  The easiest way to do this is to check the
>    TargetLowering information for the operation to see if they are
>    supported.  If not, leave them as function calls in the
>    SelectionDAGISel.cpp file.  The alternative way is to have legalize
>    lower them to libcalls.  This is also needed for fsqrt, though sin/cos
>    don't set errno.

The first solution is what I went for the first time around, but I was told that it should be lowered to libcalls. I was
unable to implement this as I don't see how I get the information about what type (float/double) the call originally
used. When the DAG is legalized these are all promoted to f64, right? If you just tell me how, I will fix this one also...

> I hope that committing the patches I did will significantly help your
> merging.

Yes, thank you very much!

m.