[LLVMdev] can bc/asm carry enough type info for C/C++ compiler/interpreter?

Zeyu Chen zeyu at kasenna.com
Mon Apr 25 16:55:52 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Misha Brukman wrote:
>> But since llvm's type system is meant to be lang indep the best we can
>> do is to make debugging info descriptive enough for future
>> compilations, is this correct?

> That sounds about right.  Another issue is that currently, aggressive
> optimizations change the code substantially and if there were increased
> debug information (which would be nice), they would have to be checked
> and/or modified to be more conservative and respect the memory layout of
> structures, etc.

>> It would be nice to make bc files optionally carry type info useful
>> for another compile pass (today bc files are only useful for linking).

> I recon that would be a requirement to a fully-functional llvm-db
> (debugger) so yes, it would be nice.  Patches are accepted. :)

Misha, this would be a requirement on the debugging info as well as a requirement
on the C++ frontend. The cfe now needs to parse and type check both .h.cxx and the
debugging info in .bc files. In the short term it would be fine to have a seperate
utility to regenerate .h files from "g++ -g3" but eventually cfe should have the
capability to parse dwarf2 and what not. This shouldn't be hard since cfe is the
one that generated those debugging info in the first place.

Zee