[LLVMdev] Optional Target Builds

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Fri Apr 22 08:57:05 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 09:52 -0600, Al Stone wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 10:18 -0500, Chris Lattner wrote:
> > Would passing one option, "--enable-arch=host", be ok?
>
> If what you mean is that "--enable-arch=host" would build only the
> host target, that could work.  "--enable-arch=host-only" or something
> _might_ be clearer.  So let me see if I can paraphrase: the proposal
> is to add a new configure option to the build, "--enable-arch" (or
> "--enable-target" -- either works for me).  One can provide comma
> separated parameters to "--enable-arch" as follows:
>
>    -- "all": the default, which builds all targets, regardless of
>       the host for the build
>    -- "host" (or "host-only"): build only the code generators for
>       the current build host
>    -- "c", "x86", "ppc", ... : build only the code generators for the
>       named targets (hmm, maybe '--enable-target' is better..).
>
> If that's what you meant, it sounds good to me... but I reckon
> Reid gets to have a say, too :).

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly it, with one exception. I was planning
to *always* build the CBackend and Skeleton targets. Both are pretty
fast to build and it gives LLVM *some* kind of target to fall back on.
Given that, we might also want to have an option for "none" so that no
processor targets are built, just the CBackend and Skeleton.

Thoughts?

Reid