[LLVMdev] Optional Target Builds

Al Stone ahs3 at fc.hp.com
Fri Apr 22 06:37:54 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 23:58 -0700, Reid Spencer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 00:33 -0500, Chris Lattner wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > > With Misha's changes requiring a total rebuild, I've been reminded how
> > > long the targets take to build. Now that there are more of them and in
> > > most cases I really don't care about n-1 of them, I'm wondering if its
> > > time to have configure allow optional compilation for them.
> > >
> > > I would like to suggest:
> > >
> > > 1. The default (build all targets) remains the same
> > > 2. We add to configure --disable-target-x86 to disable building the x86
> > > target. Similarly for all other targets
> > > 3. We add to configure --disable-foreign-targets to disable all but the
> > > current host's target type.
> > >
> > > This will require a little bit of configure magic and some changes to
> > > the makefiles.
> >
> > Sounds great to me.  I would suggest --disable-cross-targets instead of
> > --disable-foreign-targets though.
>
> Actually, the options have to be expressed as "enable-something" so
> I've opted for "--enable-target-this" to enable just the $host target.
> if you specify --disable-target-this (the default) then you get
> whatever platforms you specify with --enable-target-{targetname}
>
> Does that make sense or do you have a better idea?

What I would prefer (for what that's worth) is that by default,
only the host target is enabled.  That will speed up my builds
a bit and keep sizes a bit smaller.  If I then had an option so
I could do something like '--enable-arch=ppc,x86_64,ia64', I
could build whatever cross-targets I wanted for a particular
package.

--
Ciao,
al