[LLVMdev] Optional Target Builds

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Thu Apr 21 19:39:27 PDT 2005

With Misha's changes requiring a total rebuild, I've been reminded how
long the targets take to build. Now that there are more of them and in
most cases I really don't care about n-1 of them, I'm wondering if its
time to have configure allow optional compilation for them.

I would like to suggest:

1. The default (build all targets) remains the same
2. We add to configure --disable-target-x86 to disable building the x86
target. Similarly for all other targets
3. We add to configure --disable-foreign-targets to disable all but the
current host's target type.

This will require a little bit of configure magic and some changes to
the makefiles.

Anyone have a good reason *not* to do this?

Reid