[LLVMdev] Trailing whitespace removal (important for CVS users!)

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu Apr 21 13:57:54 PDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Reid Spencer wrote:
> Why not put all this into a pre-commit filter in CVS and be done with
> it? We'd never be bothered with it again as it would never be committed
> again.

I'd rather not have CVS commit scripts mucking with the code.  If you want
to have the nightly tester whine about source code with spaces at the end
of lines (like it whines about compiler warnings), that would be fine.

BTW, does anyone know how to tell xemacs to autodelete end of line spaces?

-Chris

>> Dear LLVMers,
>>
>> If you live on the bleeding edge (i.e. CVS version), please read!
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:12:54PM +0200, Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:
>>> Do you really want external patches for this ? A simple Perl script
>>> that runs on all *.h and *.cpp files, and a local commit from your
>>> side would be much simpler.
>>
>> I'm in the process of doing just this as we speak.  What this means:
>> please hold off updating in the mean time, unless you want to rebuild
>> your codebase several times, as I am about to touch a *lot* of files.
>>
>> I will send a message to the list when I'm done, so you can get all the
>> changes (and hopefully, few conflicts)
>>
>>> The testsuite should also be enhanced to daily report files with
>>> trailing whitespace.
>>
>> Good idea, I'll add that to my todo list.
>>
>>> Please note that this not purely academic - trailing whitespace are a
>>> horror for anyone maintaining external patches against a CVS tree.
>>
>> I was not aware that this is such a big problem, so thanks for point
>> this out.  It'll be fixed in a short while.

> Reid Spencer
> President & CTO
> eXtensible Systems, Inc.
> rspencer at x10sys.com