[LLVMdev] Trailing whitespace removal (important for CVS users!)

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 21 13:11:57 PDT 2005

Dear LLVMers,

If you live on the bleeding edge (i.e. CVS version), please read!

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:12:54PM +0200, Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:
> Do you really want external patches for this ? A simple Perl script
> that runs on all *.h and *.cpp files, and a local commit from your
> side would be much simpler.

I'm in the process of doing just this as we speak.  What this means:
please hold off updating in the mean time, unless you want to rebuild
your codebase several times, as I am about to touch a *lot* of files.

I will send a message to the list when I'm done, so you can get all the
changes (and hopefully, few conflicts)

> The testsuite should also be enhanced to daily report files with
> trailing whitespace.

Good idea, I'll add that to my todo list.

> Please note that this not purely academic - trailing whitespace are a
> horror for anyone maintaining external patches against a CVS tree.

I was not aware that this is such a big problem, so thanks for point
this out.  It'll be fixed in a short while.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu