[LLVMdev] Using LLVM for a dynamically typed language

Vyacheslav Akhmechet coffeemug at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 08:34:04 PDT 2005

> a) Make all functions the same type. For example, make them all return
> void, take a vector of parameters as the first argument, and a vector
> for return values as the second argument.
This is something I was considering. I guess I'll end up going with this option.

> I don't see how this is a specific challenge with LLVM. It seems to me
> that this is a challenge that you will encounter when implementing a
> dynamic language in *any* low-level language.
I disagree. If I could push a bunch of arguments on a stack (or
specify a list of arguments, etc.) and just use a "call" instruction
with a pointer to a memory address I wouldn't run into this problem.
This is a specific challenge with LLVM because it is strictly typed.