[LLVMdev] LLVM build error (sparc gcc 3.2.2)

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 29 18:16:36 PDT 2004

Shukang Zhou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I met some errors when I tried to build LLVM. The tar file is
> llvm-1.3.tar.gz. I am using a sparc machine with gcc 3.2.2.
>
> -------------
> Compiling SparcV9CodeEmitter.cpp
> /uf24/zhou/research/llvm/src/lib/Target/SparcV9/SparcV9CodeEmitter.cpp: In
>    static member function `static void
>    llvm::<unnamed>::JITResolver::CompilationCallback()':
> /uf24/zhou/research/llvm/src/lib/Target/SparcV9/SparcV9CodeEmitter.cpp:340:
> warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> /usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp//ccFz2VBS.s", line 3147: error: cannot use
> v8plus registers in a non-v8plus target binary
> -------------
>
> There are 42 similar errors in this file ("cannot use v8plus registers in
> a non-v8plus target binary"). Is anyone who knows about this error? Thanks
> a lot for your time and help.

Additionally, if you are on a SparvV9 machine (i.e. a 64 Ultra-Sparc
machine), it could be possible that your version of GCC is configured to
emit SparcV8 (32 bit code) by default (this could happen, for example,
if your environment has a mix of 32 and 64 bit machines).

If this is the case, there are options you can use to tell GCC to emit
SparcV9 code.  I believe you would want to use gcc -mcpu=v9.

You can either reconfigure LLVM with the configure script to add the
option, or modify the generated Makefile.config in your object tree to
add the additional flags to the CC and CXX environment variables.

> Shukang Zhou

-- John T.

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *