[LLVMdev] diffs for vc7.1

Paolo Invernizzi arathorn at fastwebnet.it
Wed Sep 15 10:51:08 PDT 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 7:29 PM, Jeff Cohen wrote:

> Just make sure you read the uninstall instructions before installing.
> Microsoft has been known to essentially require the reformatting your
> boot partition in order to uninstall beta versions of VS.  And, of
> course, it is required that you uninstall the beta before installing a
> newer beta or the release version.

Urrggg! I missed this! Can you point me to that?
Anyway, on Microsoft side, basically you HAVE to reinstall Windows
every 150gg as it starts collapsing ;-)))

>> I think you're right that "standardization" on the VC 8 compiler is
>> somewhat risky. We should continue the 7.1 effort while also using
>> 8(beta) and when 8 is ready, then it should become the standard for
>> windows (assuming it actually implements the C++ standard correctly!)
>
> It all depends on how well it works with 7.1.  Hopefully it won't be
> much longer before we know for sure.

Well, right now I've compiled the core with both, and the problems are
exactly the sames...
I think that the big difference in ANSI compliance was between 6 and 7
(keep an eye on boost regression...) MS effort in serie 8 is targeted
to performance (exploiting better custom instruction for different i386
processor) and on the .NET side...

I don't expect any issue resolved upgrading from 7.1 to 8.

BTW, if you want, tomorrow can post what is failing to compile with VC
7.1 and why... it's not too much.

---
Paolo Invernizzi