[LLVMdev] diffs for vc7.1

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Sep 15 09:19:46 PDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> If the LLVM code base doesn't want to compile with VC++ 6 because it's
> not sufficiently ANSI compliant, that's a good enough reason to not
> support it.  I know that template support wasn't very compliant with 6
> (though still better than most non-g++ Unix compilers even today) and
> LLVM uses templates a lot.  While 6 is still common, by now most are
> switching to 7.1.  As it seems to work well enough with 7.1, I don't
> think standardizing on an unreleased version that won't become dominant
> for four years or so is constructive.  And that assumes it actually
> ships in 2005 :)

I agree to some extent.  Basically it depends on how close 7.1 is to
compiling the LLVM tree today.  If supporting 7.1 will require making lots
of ugly changes to the source base to support 7.1 (due to lack of
compliance with the C++ standard), then it may be reasonable to require
8.0 if it fixes the problems.  If there are only minor things that 7.1
gets wrong, and they aren't very invasive, I agree that it would be
wonderful to support it. :)

-Chris

--
http://llvm.org/