[LLVMdev] Files to lib/System/Win32

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Sep 13 22:50:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Reid Spencer wrote:

> These are all reasons why the Win32 port doesn't exist today. LLVM is

Well, the reason it doesn't exist today is that noone has worked on it.
:)

> heavily influenced and implemented by Unix tools/concepts/facilities.
> Since building on Win32 will also be a problem, I think that we should
> just target cygwin as our Win32 solution for now and get that to work
> really well. I know cygwin is a slow pig, but at least we can get LLVM
> to work with it. We also have Interix which is another interesting
> approach. However, I don't think Interix has the tool support that we
> need to build LLVM, its just a Unix interface for windows machines,
> isn't it?

I sorta agree, but not entirely.  In particular, I think that it's
reasonable for LLVM as a whole to require cygwin.  However, I think that
it would be great (and doable) to be able build the LLVM tools WITHOUT
linking to the cygwin DLL or using any of the emulation code.  This should
provide fast executables without having to change all of our support
makefiles and other stuff.

> I agree that if/when the time comes to support Win32 natively, it will
> be a big job involving configuration, new makefiles and project files,
> and all the other Visual studio shebang.  I'm personally not up to that
> task as my Win32 skills are ancient and I have no interest in updating
> them.

I really am not sure whether it would make sense to do the full VS project
thing.  In particular, it would be hard to maintain.  Porting lib/System
to use native win32 sounds like an excellent idea though, and IS quite
useful.

Thoughts?

-Chris

--