[LLVMdev] Files to lib/System/Win32

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Mon Sep 13 21:07:16 PDT 2004

Henrik,

The patches you submitted will not work (at all) for the Win32 platform
because they (still) use Unix system calls. Win32 doesn't have mkdtemp,
fork, execve, etc. Furthermore in Path.cpp forward slashes are still
used. These need to be changed to back slashes.

So, I'm not familiar with mingw platform. Since you've stated they
compile on your mingw platform, I'm assuming mingw is some kind of Unix
clone like cygwin. That raises for me the issue of whether we really
want to support *another* Unix interface on Windows. We are already
supporting cygwin and Interix.

So, would you consider using cygwin or Interix instead of mingw? If not,
then I will place your patches into a lib/System/MingW directory and you
can provide the implementation there. If you want to go that way you'll
need to make some corrections to your patches. The main one is that
you've replicated the generic Unix code into the Path.cpp file. Instead
of doing that, I would prefer it if you #included it so we don't have
duplicate Unix code all over the place.

Thanks,

Reid.