[LLVMdev] To APR Or Not To APR. That is the question.

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Sep 13 09:51:15 PDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> If you want LLVM to become widespread and useful, you *will* end up either
> depending on other libraries or spending a lot of time reinventing the wheel.
> Your choice. :)

I agree with what you're saying, but there are a couple of different
issues here.  What we really want is for the LLVM *core* to be as
independent of other libraries as possible.  It should be possible to just
untar, build and install, without having to worry about tons of obscure
dependencies.  There are multiple ways to do this (e.g. include the
dependencies into the LLVM distro), we just want to be smart about how we
do it.

Note that projects that USE llvm will probably have dependencies of their
own.  For example, the llvm-java project will probably have a lot of the
dependencies that you described for other language runtimes.  Specifically
we just want the core of LLVM to be as simple as possible.

This is just MHO of course. :)

-Chris

--
http://llvm.org/