[LLVMdev] Link error with TOOLLINKOPTS=-ldbghelp on MinGW

Henrik Bach henrik_bach_llvm at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 13:18:35 PDT 2004

>From: John Criswell <criswell at cs.uiuc.edu>

>Will this library be needed for tblgen or for all LLVM programs?  And is it
>a library you wrote for LLVM, or is it a MingW library?

It's is generally needed for all programs or at least programs using
Signals.o (from platform/Signals.cpp) and it is platform/MinGW specific.

>TOOLLINKOPTS is used by configure to convey additional linker flags needed
>to use system libraries.  These are typically system libraries for which a
>-L option is not needed or has already been supplied to the configure
>script.

Ok.

>For libraries internal to LLVM, we add the library to the USEDLIBS variable
>in the program's Makefile.
>
>How we should handle the problem depends upon whether this will be needed
>for all programs and whether libdbghelp  will be part of the LLVM source
>tree.

Ok. However, the libdgbhelp isn't provided (so far, though you have access
to the system interface through header files) on MinGW. But, you have the
option to make your own libraries from system dll's on MinGW. For LLVM,
libdbghelp is an external system specific library, so I don't think it
should be a part of the LLVM source tree.

Henrik