[LLVMdev] Makefile.rules Changes / automake update (IMPORTANT!)

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Fri Oct 22 19:32:38 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 19:31, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > In an effort to start making our makefile system better, I've committed changes
> > to Makefile.rules and a few library Makefiles that nearly double the speed of
> > our compilations. I can now build all of LLVM (lib, utils, tools, runtime,
> > examples) in just over 17 minutes on my system. This used to take over 30
>
> Nice!!

yeah, a little productivity enhancement never hurts.

> > * Implement auto-reconfiguration (if the configure script changes, you get
> >    an automatic reconfiguration instead of a message saying that you need to
> >    do so.)
>
> I haven't looked at your implementation, but does this work if the user
> passes arguments (e.g. --with-llvmgccdir) to the configure script?

Yes, it does. It uses "config.status --recheck" which is supposed to
DTRT, including passing original arguments to configure.

> > * Added tblgen build rules to Makefile.rules and removed from the X86 and
> >    PPC target Makefiles. There was some overlap. Standardizing these will
> >    encourage future targets to use them. These rules are available if you set
> >    the TARGET variable.
>
> Nice!  Thanks for all of the great improvements Reid!

You ain't seen nothing yet. This commit was just to clear up the
obfuscation and misuse. Next comes the documentation, and then the new
targets (dist, dist-check, dist-clean, package, install, uninstall,
check, etc.)

Reid