[LLVMdev] Re: [llvm-commits] CVS: */Makefile.am

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Tue Oct 12 09:46:23 PDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:54:20 -0500 (CDT)
Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, John Criswell wrote:
> > I believe the two best things that we can do to shorten releases is the
> > following:
> >
> > 1. Re-arrange the LLVM and LLVM-GCC builds to build in one fell swoop.
> > I checkout out, I type make, and it all builds.  This requires moving
> > parts of llvm/runtime into llvm-gcc, or making llvm-gcc an LLVM project,
> > or some other approach.
>
> FWIW, this would be very valuable in its own right, in addition to making
> the release easier to manage.  Ideally, I would like to make the LLVM core
> not depend or provide any C/C++ FE related stuff at all.
>
> -Chris

I would like this too.  My own project is writing a front end for my own
language, and while it'll be a long time before I have to worry about
it, I do wonder how I will eventually package it up with LLVM.  Being
able to leave out any C/C++ FE related stuff would certainly simplify
things.